Call for Volunteers: Become a Business or Career Coach at iLead Rural
What is iLead Rural Project (LRP)
iLead Rural Project is a platform for skills and knowledge transfer on business start-ups at the Senior High School level. LRP has a particular bias towards agriculture and agritech due to Ghana’s immense agrarian potential.
On June 25 and February 13, 2016, Rural Heights Foundation organized a similar entrepreneurship workshop for the students of Gomoa Senior High Technical School in Gomoa Darumpong and Apam Senior High respectively.
What is new about iLead Rural Project 2017?
- As part of RHF’s strategic alliance with YouthsMAP, a US-based nonprofit, all volunteers who participate may be eligible to enrol in a global professional career mentorship program runned by YouthsMAP.
- A component on agritech (tech in agriculture) has been introduced to accommodate the growing service sector.
What Role Would Volunteers Play?
The program will have two main segments – plenary (seminar) session and a break-out session. Volunteers will facilitate break-out sessions. The break out session would have 3 main groups:
- The Pathfinders Group – for would-be entrepreneurs and business owners.
- The Professional’s Group – for those who wish to pursue excellence in their respective professional fields.
- The Protégés Group – an open group for those who wish to ask general questions or seek advice on some personal matters such as relationships, family, faith, etc.
Volunteer selection for Pathfinders group is strictly limited to only those with real entrepreneurship experience.
What’s in for volunteers?
- Free lunch meal with drinks.
- Free transport to Gomoa Eshiem and back to Accra.
- Free access to MTN 4G WiFi network to enable live event streaming and social media browsing.
Why the need for iLead Rural Project?
According to a report by Forum for Education Reform, school enrolment figures for various demographics narrows as education progresses from the lower levels (Primary and J.H.S) to higher levels (S.H.S to Tertiary). For example, data for 2011/2012 shows a 96.5% enrolment for Primary Schools, 80.6% for J.H.S and 37.1% for Senior High School system. Given the lack of clear and coherent policy direction to deal with such “drop-offs”, a private non-governmental effort to help boost chances of self-employment has become imperative.
How Will this Program Benefit You?
- In 2014 Ghana spent USD1.5b on importation of food items; crops, livestock and fisheries. This market gap has implications for business opportunities in agriculture. To be a successful entrepreneur in agriculture however, it is important to know which sub-sector holds greater returns on investment at lower risks.
- Proper management of risks is dependent on good advice in matters regarding start-up costs, land tenure negotiations, how to manage market risks, yield variations and commercial acreage operations. This workshop would provide you with all these insights and the tools/techniques to manage risks in the agriculture value chain.
- Finally, the application of technology to agriculture is a growing market. Understanding this market is key to commercial success.
How long is this event?
The main event is a 2h 30min program but since all project staff and volunteers will be travelling from Accra to Gomoa Eshiem, we advice that a full day (8.00am – 17.00pm) is dedicated for same. Please note: this is a return trip.
Do You Wish To Volunteer?
If you wish to participate in this project as a volunteer, kindly fill out our volunteer forms (visit Volunteers page) if you haven’t done so already. If you have submitted your forms in the past, kindly send an email to email@example.com indicating your interest.